Wednesday 11 July 2012

The art of storytelling


I just came across a great list called The 22 Rules of Storytelling according to Pixar, written by their animation storyboard artist Emma Coats.

I picked out 3 that were especially helpful for writers.

No 3:  “Trying for theme is important but you won’t see what the story is actually about til you’re at the end of it .  Now rewrite.”
I like this.  The more I write, the more I realise the truth in this.  Sometimes, you realise when you are near the end of a story that a theme runs through it that you didn't even consciously intend.  This mysterious process can be quite spooky - but wonderful.

No 7: “Come up with your ending before you figure out the middle.”
I generally sort out my ending well before I even touch the laptop and start to write.  If I'm going on a journey, I need to know where I will end up.  Or at least plan to end up.

No 10: "Pull apart the stories you like.  What you like in them is a part of you; you’ve got to recognise it before you can use it.”
This is a thought provoking and profound observation.  It also links with other advice I adhere to, which is to read like a writer.  More on this in future posts.

To see the list in full go to 




No comments:

Post a Comment