Wednesday 3 April 2013

Hybrid authors and authorpreneurs

I'm interested in the current discussions around "authorpreneurs" and "hybrid" authors (I love the word "hybrid".  Very science fiction).  Can you really have the best of both worlds if you are/have been traditionally published and are also self (indie) publishing?

I've done both and I haven't decided yet.  There are, like most things, pros and cons to each.  Indie publishing is tremendously hard work and also gives me an insight into trad publishing that I didn't have before.  It gives me a more balanced perspective, I think.

Many writers who have found success with the indie route are now snapping up trad deals, and the advantage of this is that although you will have less control, you will also have more time to actually write. There are only so many hours in the day and so much energy to use up creatively.

But the aspect of indie that I love most is the control over every aspect of the process.  It's absorbing, fascinating and fun.

Read a great post here which explores the topic in detail:
http://janefriedman.com/2013/01/30/self-pub-and-traditional-pub-cj-lyons/

Related post:
http://janeayres.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/the-business-of-writing-part-1.html

4 comments:

  1. Im still on the fence, but, i want to try the traditional route first :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vikki - I think publishing is one of the fastest changing industries right now, which keeps things interesting!

      Delete
  2. I think you need to find out what works best for you, as an individual.
    I have 2 non-fiction books (on horse training)trad published, and despite my publisher's total lack of marketing, I still feel that's the only viable route for that type of book.
    On the fiction side I'm trying both options - I have one with an agent and one I'm about to self-publish.
    Then I'll make up my mind - I hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deborah, whichever option you go with, the marketing is hard work, whether trad or indie pubbing. Good luck!

      Delete