Saturday 10 August 2013

Reading: A safe fix?

Stories can provide us with thrills, puzzles to solve, tears, joy, laughter, fear; taking us through a kaleidoscope of emotions and virtual experiences.  Escape from reality. In short, reading can give us a safe high.

I used to get my adrenalin fix, my escape, from dancing and music, and that is my preferred drug.  But reading does an effective job, transporting me to places I would never travel - past, present and future.  And at the same time I am learning - about the world, people and myself.  I can't think of any other equivalent form of escapism. If only it were the universal drug of choice.

Related post:

2 comments:

  1. I've been in a real reading slump recently....hadn't picked up a fiction book since May, but I'm back on the wagon now lol

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep meaning to have a reading week but not managed it yet....

      Delete