Monday 17 December 2012

Author talk at John Wallis Academy

Recently I had the great pleasure of being invited by Sarah Sammut, who is responsible for Learning and Reading Support, to visit the John Wallis Academy in Ashford to give a talk in the school library to 36 students from Yr 6 upwards. 

I have visited a lot of schools, but I was overwhelmed by the warm welcome I received and also the sheer enthusiasm of the pupils.  Sometimes, when I give an author talk and ask if the students have any questions, it can be a tentative process, but I was delighted to be greeted by a sea of hands.  Their questions were thoughtful and thought-provoking and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Sarah is clearly passionate about encouraging creativity in her pupils and she also runs an excellent free online journal http://www.aspiringwritersjournal.com/

The  fifth edition comes out in January 2013 and, in Sara's words, "its purpose is to act as a stepping stone for would be writers, something to give them confidence and self-worth."

I urge you to check it out and look forward to my next visit to this wonderful learning environment. 






No comments:

Post a Comment